New Hire Timeline
General Information about SHARE Onboarding
Beginning January 2020, SHARE provides onboarding services directly to Staff and Academic Non-Senate Titles hired into the units served by our region. Please see this news article for more information. We will evaluate the service for continuation and expansion after the first few months, with these goals:
- Improved Logistics - Employees may schedule their onboarding session on a weekday (Monday through Friday) between 10am - 3:30pm. Sessions will take place at a central campus location (2407 Dwinelle Hall).
- Decreased Handoffs - The onboarding process will be performed and managed by SHARE region staff: hiring paperwork, compliance documents such as I-9 and the oath and patent.
- Increase Employee and Staff Satisfaction - We aim to provide a streamlined process that will be continuously improved to ensure new employee, hiring department and SHARE staff satisfaction.
- Reduce Risk and Lost Productivity - We are working to increase compliance with federal, state and University policies, ensure timely pay and reduce the setup time for new employee access to campus systems.
What do I need to do to start my new job at UC Berkeley?
Here is a printable version of the checklists found at the following pages. You will not be able to access it through GoogleDocs until you have completed your onboarding process and setup your CalNet ID and passphrase.
What do I need to do to get paid?
Use CalTime to enter and approve your hours, vacation, sick and other leaves. CalTime is the campus online timekeeping system used by most job titles (Readers/Tutors may use a different system noted on the right). You must enter and approve your hours by each payroll deadline.
Access the CalTime website
Are you a Reader/Tutor who is paid monthly? You need to enter and submit your timesheet by each payroll deadline using time.berkeley.edu.
Typically, this is the case for monthly paid Lecturers who also hold a Reader/Tutor position. They would use the App as well as other titles with unique circumstances on a case-by-case basis. Contact your SHARE Regional HR Partner or Generalist for help.
Connecting to Campus Wifi
Wi-Fi connectivity is generally available throughout most buildings on campus as well as in UC Berkeley-affiliated buildings located off-campus. For the best connection, eduroam is the primary Wi-Fi service for access to the campus network. It provides access to all students, faculty, and staff. To get connected, use the steps outlined in this Berkeley IT (Knowledge Based) article
- Create a new Wi-Fi account using your CalNet Passphrase to login by navigating to the WiFi Keys section of the Berkeley Portal. Follow the steps as outlined in the links above.
If you are on an F-1 visa, the Employment Letter can be found in your completed onboarding DocuSign from Berkeley Regional Services.
SHARE Onboarding (only applies to Postdocs, Staff titles, Specialists, Researchers, Project Scientists)
|Contact Party Responsible||Service/Action|
|Department||Determines start date and salary|
|SHARE HR Partner||Sends out DocuSign and schedule onboarding appointment|
|New Hire||Complete the DocuSign, schedule onboarding appointment, completes I-9,completes onboarding appointment.|
|SHARE HRIM||Completes template first and submits to UCPath for approval|
|SHARE Onboarding Team||Completes remote onboarding session with new hire where they witness the Oath and audit I-9.|
Not sure how to submit your time?
If you are unsure what system to use for timekeeping, please ask your Supervisor, SHARE Regional HR Partner or HR Generalist.