August 8, 2023
Good Morning SHARE Region,
As many of you know, Berkeley International Office has notified us of their Fall deadlines. As a result, SHARE is asking that any J-1 Scholars or H-1B employees starting in January of February 2024, please submit your request to your HR Generalist or HR Partner by September 1st, 2023.
Below are also some important reminders that were included in BIO's original email:
- Submit J-1 new initial requests with appointment start dates in January and February by October 2, 2023.
- Submit J-1 Exchange Visitor extension requests for any scholars at least 30 days prior to the current DS-2019 end date.
- Avoid start dates in December and on holidays and university closures.
- For scholars starting in January we recommend a start date of Wednesday, January 3, 2024 or later as it is the first business day in 2024. Instruction begins January 16, 2024 and this may be a suitable start date for many scholars starting in January.
- Consult BIO as soon as possible on the feasibility and timing of any request to change status to J-1 if scholars are currently working for UC Berkeley on F-1 OPT. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) processing times can vary and BIO advisors can be consulted on the timing and options.
- All H-1B requests using premium processing with start dates in December 2023 and January 2024 should be submitted to the Berkeley International Office by October 2, 2023.
- New or change of status H-1B requests without Premium Processing should be submitted to the Berkeley International Office at least 6 months before the anticipated start date.
- For detailed information, visit the H-1B petition timing website.
- H-1B employees whose cases are pending and are planning to travel during the holidays should inform their departments and contact a BIO adviser before departing the U.S..